Thursday, April 1, 2010

Smoke Signals

After watching Smoke Signals I was left thinking about the Last scene in the movie, where we see Victor standing on the bridge looking over as the Columbia River roars below him. We watch as victor releases his fathers’ ashes into the river, he lets out a holler that comes from deep within him and you can feel all the pain and hurt he has kept inside since his father left him all those years ago. When he let go of those ashes he let go of the anger that he held for this father. Then we hear Thomas say “Do we forgive our fathers in our age or in theirs? Or in their deaths saying it to them or not saying it. If we forgive our fathers what is left?”

I think Victor was afraid to forgive his father, like Thomas said “If we forgive our fathers what is left?” In a way all those bad memories was all Victor had left of his father. When Arnold died Victor set out to retrieve his ashes in Arizona where his father lived before he died. There he met Suzy Song, one of Arnolds only friends, who gave Victor insight on who his father really was and why he left the reservation, Victor was finally able to let go of all the anger he carried for years.

5 comments:

  1. I felt the same way about that scene. To me Victor felt he was finally able to empower himself with the release of his fathers ashes. Victor can now move on with his life and know he was not the reason his dad left. Tradition can be joyous or it can loom over us like a dark shadow. Victor released the shadow from his life and took it back. The points you make have given me more to think about, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kelly,

    That’s a powerful scene to reflect on! I like the director’s decision to leave us with this scene of forgiveness, or at least Victor in the process of forgiving. It always leaves me wondering about the future for these 2 characters. What do you all think? What will happen to these men?

    Lauren :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like Victor is a little bit confused of whom his father really is. Suzy tells him all these good things about his father but he doesn't know if he should believe her. Since he left them and he didn't grow up with his father that is the reason he has all this anger inside of him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also felt like this scene that you talk about was a very strong scene. I really like how you explains your feelings and thoughts about this scene. As I read this, it also really got me thinking about it. I feel like all these questions asked in the end of this movie were very strong and powerful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your description of the last scene. You made a connection with the movie and described Victors emotional state beautifully. I went back in my mind and have a better verbal understanding of why that last scene was so touching to me.

    ReplyDelete